test
A Publication of RenewaNation: Helping Children Develop a Biblical Worldview.

To Link To The RenewaNation Website


Friday, June 7, 2013

Something Bigger Than Oursleves

It's possible to bring extraordinary meaning to ordinary work by aligning it with something bigger than ourselves. This is where aligning our work with the bigger picture of a biblical Weltanschauung comes in powerfully.

Last week we looked at some questions that prompt reflection on how our work can be aligned with the bigger, grander picture of God. Below are some questions pertaining to how our work can be aligned with the bigger, grander picture of Creation and Humanity.

Pick one that especially speaks to you, and take a moment (or two) to deeply reflect: 

  • What physical, emotional or spiritual needs of others are being met through my work?
  • How does _________ [fixing cars, managing a grocery store, providing legal counsel] relate to the First Commission of Genesis 1:26-28, the "Cultural Mandate" to rule over all the earth?
  • Why is __________ [water used to wash dishes, wood used to construct a house, electricity used to operate a computer] a part of creation?
  • What unseen spiritual entities might be affecting this activity?
  • What is particularly human about _________?
  • When it comes to _________, what aspects of my mind need to be transformed by Christ?
  • How does _________ unite people? ...divide people? ...fulfill people? ...minimize people?
  • What character qualities can this situation develop or further strengthen in me? How might this be an opportunity for spiritual growth?
  • How might this situation be an opportunity for the Holy Spirit to speak deeply to my co-worker [my boss, my customer]?
  • How might this situation be an opportunity for me to be "salt" and "light" in the world in which I work?
  • What about ____________ is in harmony with a biblical view of humanity? …in opposition to it?
  • When it comes to making the best use of my God-given gifts and abilities at work, what is missing or being under-utilized?
  • When it comes to the best use of the God-given gifts and abilities of others [my co-workers, boss, employees, customers, etc.], what is being under-utilized? How could I help in this regard?
  • How does my work draw upon (or exercise) the reality that I am created in the likeness and image of God? 
  • How does my work affirm the intrinsic value and inherent worth of others, as created in the likeness and image of God, whether they are Christians or not?
  Bookmark and Share